The Pastor’s Corner
St. Paul must have had Wesley United Methodist Church in mind when he wrote in his letter to the Philippians, “…the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6). Indeed, there are many good works going on through Wesley UMC: worship and study; Christian formation and fellowship; work with children, youth, and mature individuals; help for those in need and a safe place for the community to gather – God has found lots of ways to use the gifts and graces of the people here to help people, locally and around the world. And I am very happy to be beginning here, to join you as we seek and find new ways to serve our sisters, our brothers, and our Lord.
But you can see that none of us can do this work alone. It takes all of us working together to bring Christ’s good work to completion. I pledge to do all that I can, using the gifts that God has given me, to help Wesley UMC grow more fully into the kingdom of God. But I don’t have all the gifts needed for that task in myself, and you don’t have all the gifts needed in yourself, either – we need to work together! Now that the Coronavirus pandemic seems to be starting to come under control, our church is beginning to look outward again: Where are we needed? How can we help? Who needs to hear the good news of Jesus Christ? We’ll be doing things in different ways now, and we need everyone’s help: we need YOUR help to get to work in this new time.
Coming to worship in person or online is a good and necessary thing, but it’s not enough! Giving financially to the work of Wesley UMC is a good and necessary thing, but it’s not enough! We need to offer and invest our time, our talents, our gifts, our service, and our witness to do the work that God has dreamed for us to do. If you’ve already rolled up your sleeves and gotten to work with Wesley UMC, thank you, and keep at it. If you’ve not yet found your niche within our ministries, get in touch – together, we’ll find the place that’s right for you. God has given each of us so many talents and gifts, each one on loan from our Creator – let’s use them to bring the kingdom of God closer in Morgantown and beyond!
Pastor Martha’s Office Hours
Pastor Martha’s church office hours are Monday-Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. All are welcome to stop by! To schedule a private meeting time, contact the church office at 304-292-9485
Wesley UMC Practices Social Distancing
Due to the most recent CDC guidelines and the increase of infections from the Delta strain of COVID-19, everyone is encouraged to wear a mask when attending worship. We ask that you continue to wear your mask when receiving communion. If you have questions, please contact the church office at 304-292-9485 or firstname.lastname@example.org
New Minister Onboarding with Laity
Wesley Laity from the following committees are invited to participate in an onboarding meeting with Pastor Martha on Monday, August 16 at 6 p.m. via Zoom: Administrative Council, Board of Trustees, Finance Team, and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Rene Wilt, onboarding coach with the West Virginia Annual Conference, will conduct this conversation. All ministry leaders will send out more information ahead of the meeting, including the Zoom link.
Volunteers Needed for Worship
Volunteers for both the 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. services for the following areas:
- Scripture Readers
- Communion Stewards
- Communion Preparation
Prayer Shawl Ministry
Wesley’s Prayer Shawl Ministry will meet in person on Tuesday, August 3 at 10 a.m. in the Lecture Room. Anyone who would like to join this ministry is encouraged to attend regardless of experience. For more information, contact Helen Ashenfelter at email@example.com.
Circle of Friends – 2021
|August 14||Morgantown Service League||Donna Tennant|
|August 15||Hands and Feet||Elise Sullivan|
|September 11 & 12||Fresh Harvest Church||Sherry Hood|
|October 9 & 10||Living by Faith Church||Shelly Deavers|
|October 30 & 31||Morgantown North Rotary||Cathie Falvey|
|November 13 & 14||Faithseekers||Linda Bagby|
|December 11||Downtown Rotary||Donna Tennant|
|December 12||Hands and Feet||Elise Sullivan|
Please refer all questions to Carolyn Hendricks at 304-276-6580. Thank you!
Concerts in the Loft 2021
|August 8||Freddye Stover|
|September 12||The West Virginia Gospel Quartet|
|October 10||Jeff Miller|
|November 14||Jenny and Nathan|
|December 12||Schnell and Paris|
Safe Sanctuary Training
Anyone who volunteers with children and teens ages birth to 18 are required to complete safe sanctuary training through the West Virginia Annual Conference. Wesley UMC is hosting the training for the MonValley District on Saturday, Aug. 21 from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Please pre-register by Thursday, Aug. 19 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 304-366-3811. To learn more about the conference’s safe sanctuary policy, visit wvumc.org/child-protection-policies
August Committee Meetings
|Board of Trustees||Wednesday, August 4, 2021 / 7:00 p.m. (zoom)|
|Finance Committee||Monday, August 9, 2021 / 6:00 p.m. (blended)|
|Laity Onboarding Meeting||Monday, August 16, 2021 / 6:00 p.m. (blended)|
|Administrative Council||Monday, August 16, 2021 / 7:00 p.m. (blended)|
|Staff Parish Relations Committee||Tuesday, August 17, 2021 / 7:00 p.m. (blended)|
New Altar Guild Leadership
Wesley UMC’s Altar Guild is happy to welcome its new leader, Tesla Lewis, who has recently taken over from Ann O’Neal. Thank you so much for your hard work and leadership, Ann!
To prepare for Advent decorating, the guild plans to meet in October to take inventory of the church’s decorations and prepare for upcoming events. If you are interested in altar guild or want to dedicate altar flowers for an upcoming worship service, contact Tesla at 304-575-2306 or Tesla.Lewis@gmail.com
Join the Prayer Team
The Prayer Team receives prayer requests via email and devotes time to praying about them. It is personal choice as to where, how long and when in the day or night a member prays. To learn more or get involved, contact Rachel Beach at email@example.com.
Wesley UMC wishes to acknowledge all the Wesley UMC members and friends who passed away since March 2020. We ask that you continue to keep all the families in your thoughts and prayers.
- Ann Whittlesey Wiley – March 9, 2020
- Judy Culberson – April 21, 2020
- Royce Jackson Watts – May 29, 2020
- Ronald Lloyd Klein – August 5, 2020
- Darlys Tracy Graham – October 2, 2020
- George Farmer, Jr. – January 11, 2021
- John and Jenny Lambert – January 24, 2021
- Jesse Arbogast – February 11, 2021
- Helen Louise Wise – February 9, 2021
- Martha Thorn – April 4, 2021
- Robert Votta – May 4, 2021
- Janice Helmick – May 29, 2021
- Londyn Johnson – June 12, 2021
- Lenora “Mickey” Baker – June 17, 2021
Wesley UMC has received the following memorial donations since March 2020. Many thanks to those who sent memorial donations. If your name has been omitted from this list, please contact the church office at 304-292-9485 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Given in loving memory of Janet Rogers by Barbara and Tom Nailler
- Given in loving memory of Royce Watts for Children’s Sunday School by Barbara Bucy, Howard & Helen Ashenfelter, Pat Stewart, Jim Culberson, and Ellen & Gary Hartsog
- Given in loving memory of Harold “Hal” Shamberger by John & Nancy Ganz, Ginny & Allan Hammock, Darla Early, Pat Stewart, Jim Culberson, David Shamberger, Joann King, Michael Elyard, Howard & Helen Ashenfelter, Diane Puckett, JoAnn Evans, Carolyn & Charles Loar, Elizabeth & Charles Horne
- Given in loving memory of Martha Thorne by Howard & Helen Ashenfelter
- Given in loving memory of George Farmer, Jr. by Cheyla Purkery, Janet Lawson, Barbara Bucy, Clifton & Sara Bishop, Ann C. Conner, Straface Family, Mary Miller, Sharon Santos, William Romine, and Mary Elder
- Given in loving memory of Lenora “Mickey” Baker by Carolyn Ryan and Helen Ashenfelter
- Given in loving memory of Judy Culberson by Howard & Helen Ashenfelter, Diana Canale, Janice Denison, Harry Elzinga, Kerry Lilly, Michael & Linda Bagby, Buddy & Mickey Baker, Jeff & Joyce Berryman, Frank Carney, Nancy Casdorph, Jill Cochran, Charles & Margaret Craig, Larry & Shiryl Cranford, Karen Davis, Graeme & Jane Donovan, John & Nancy Ganz, Penny Turley & Mike Grant, Alan & Ginny Hamock, Leah Heimbach, John & Nancy Hoffman, Barbara Howe, Lucy Hughes, Michael & Kara Hurst, Alice Jackson, Melanie Johnson, Verna Johnston, Joann King, Tava Lee, Ray & Margaret Leinbach, John & Laura Lewis, George & Caryol Longenecker, Bob & Liz Mick, Claudia Morgan, Ken & Sharon Murray, John & Barbara Nailler, Stephanie & Jon Oberly, Jim & Doris Pitman, Michael & Mary Plevich, Lizbeth Pyle, Paul & Mary Ragland, Mark & Mary Reasor, Sharon Santos, Steve & Lya Stroupe, Mark & Regina Taylor, Ben Tulis, Bill & Nancy Wasson, Bill & Vicki Wilson, Karl & Pam Yagle, Harlan & Linda Yokum, Roby & Carol Young, Ruth Oaks, Cindy Redmond, Sandy Blosser, Debbie Savage, Mary Anne Seckel, Carol Macrae, Oakwood School, Jack Hammersmith, Wesley UMC Women & Gene Hartsaw Fund, Fred Barata, Ann Gore Price, Maurice & Lynn Baker, and Jim Stevenson